4:4:4 Test Pattern
The Extron 4:4:4 Test Pattern is an indispensable tool you can use to determine the color processing performance of your system. To ensure the best quality image, Extron scalers utilize 4:4:4 chroma processing which provides the most accurate reproduction of fine color detail. Scalers that employ 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 chroma processing may be adequate for full motion video, but significant signal degradation may be visible when viewing detailed computer generated content.
How to Use the Pattern
- Open the pattern using the Launch button in the sidebar.
- Click the “Download” button on the pattern to save a local copy to your computer (optional).
- Double click the pattern to open it full screen.
- Use your computer as a reference source by connecting it to one of your system’s video inputs.
- View the pattern on one of the system’s displays.
What to Look For
The pattern will reveal if a device in the signal chain is processing at 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. This will result in loss of color information. Pay close attention to single-pixel lines and text. 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 processing will alter line color, thickness, or produce smearing. 4:4:4 processing retains fine color detail and maintains sharp transitions between colors.